Elotes and Artichokes, sounds like a weird combination! As many great things happen this way, it was a happy accident discovering this combination!
We had an ABUNDANCE of leftovers from our Elotes for a Crowd! recipe and just so happened to have an artichoke that was about to turn on us. I know I’ve seen artichokes stuffed with breading and other different foods but I don’t recall ever seeing elotes, so why not!?
I meant to use the artichoke for trying out our Instant Pot since it takes SO darn long to steam it on the stove. This mama is an IMPATIENT cook most days. The instant pot did not disappoint, once again! We shaved off about 30 minutes of cook time, I will take that win ANY DAY.
This might be that ONE time where procrastination has been on my side. I didn’t end up cooking the artichoke yet and I’m not one for food waste in our house (yup, we even make our own dog food sometimes), this was a great time to put that choke to use!
The recipe is SUPER simple to put together, especially if you’re going the leftover route like we did! (See below for a couple of links recipes if you don’t have leftovers on hand)
After making the dish, I decided that I would much rather keep it to myself and eat it for a quick lunch. BUT I suppose there are those times that you might need an appetizer for entertaining a few guests and this would absolutely work in that situation as well.
I did end up sharing this one with Neil, and he really enjoyed it! It’s a keeper for sure!
Elotes Stuffed Artichoke
- Pressure Cooker
- Non-Stick or Cast Iron Skillet
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 Artichoke
- 3 tbsp Elotes leftovers from Elotes for a Crowd!
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp crema for topping (optional)
- 1 tbsp cotija cheese for topping (optional)
- Prepare Artichoke by cutting tips off of the leaves, slicing the top off of the artichoke and removing the small leaves around the base of the artichoke. Cut off stem. Rinse the artichokes (be sure to get in between the leaves). Drain excess water off. Now you're ready!
- Pour 1 cup water into your Instant Pot. Add steamer basket to the bottom and place your artichoke in the basket.
- Set your Instant Pot to eight minutes on high pressure. Natural release for another eight minutes. (Smaller artichokes will only take about five minutes. Larger Artichokes may take up to 18 minutes.)
- While your artichoke is steaming, heat your leftover Elotes in a skillet over medium heat with the butter until butter is melted and elotes are heated through.
- Use care when removing the artichoke, it will be hot! Place upside down on a paper towel to drain.
- Assemble! Place Artichoke right side up and slightly separate the leaves. Gently spoon in the elotes into each leaf pocket. Drizzle with creama and cotija cheese. Enjoy!
Elotes for a Crowd! – Large Batch
Quick and Easy Mexican Corn in a Cup – Small Batch
Elotes Stuffed Sweet Potatoes