You get a TWO-FER tonight!
I’m going to let you in on a secret; I don’t really like Mexican food. *GASP*
I’ll wait while you pick your jaw up off the floor.
It’s not necessarily that I don’t like it, it’s just that I like everything else BETTER! (Italian food….mmmmm)
Until recently I thought I was Hispanic…I have a Hispanic last name, so why wouldn’t we?!
My dad recently got one of the DNA test doohickeys and it showed we’re predominately (more than 60%) BRITISH!?!?!
We were all shocked, SHOCKED to find out we actually have less than .1% Mexican or Spanish blood in our lineage.
In a way, I’m relieved to rid myself of the MAJOR guilt of not speaking Spanish (Fun Fact: I speak more German than Spanish!); not truly appreciating the spicy foods and really not connecting to who I thought were “my people” other than grossly admiring the heritage and culture from afar and through friends that were into it!
Other than “taco night” and enchiladas at our house growing up and Velveeta and Rotel “queso” on some special occasions, there in ends my knowledge on the cuisine…
In this once small but now rapidly growing central Texas town we’re currently living in, there are probably MORE Mexican restaurants (and as the fiance lovingly calls them “Roach Coaches”) than I know what to do with or have the desire to try.
But here we are and these people LOVE their Mexican and TexMex food!
In an attempt to adopt a “when in Rome” attitude about it, I’ve learned to “get by” with a few recipes that I like.
However, what I made tonight…it’s a keeper. Even in my book. (Please don’t get me wrong, I DO know that this is NOT interior Mexican food and is an American bastardization of such, but it sure is TASTY!)
Remember that time that I was going to make the Six Sister’s Taco Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe, like five minutes ago? (read about it here)
Here’s what I ended up doing instead…and it was amazing!
TACO BELL pepper Casserole
What you’ll need:
2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced into spears (it doesn’t have to be perfect)
1 lb ground beef
½ chopped onion
¼ cup chopped bell pepper (I use the cap part)
¼ Taco Seasoning
¾ cup beef bouillon prepared (or water if you’re in a pinch, but I love the richness)
14.5oz can diced tomatoes (or dice your own! It would be about 3/4 cup)
¾ cup Serrano Salsa (and some to top!)
1 cup finely shredded Mexican blend cheese (divided)
Crushed Tortilla Chips (totally Optional! If you want to keep it GF, leave ‘em out!)
Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream to top!
Sliced Avocado is a nice topping too!
- Bring a large pot to a slow rolling boil. Preheat Oven to 350.
- Drop your bell pepper spears in and cook for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- While your bell peppers are cooking, chop onion and remaining bell pepper. Bring cast iron skillet (my preference, if you like nonstick go for it!) up to medium heat, add ground beef, onion and bell pepper and brown. Drain the fat!
- Add meat combination back to the skillet. Add in taco seasoning, Bouillon (or water), diced tomatoes and salsa. Bring to a simmer and turn down to medium low.
- Add ½ cup cheese to the mixture and stir well!
- Arrange bell pepper spears into an oiled casserole dish (I used a 9×13), lightly salt and pepper the peppers. Dish out the meat mixture onto the peppers (this should NOT look like a bell pepper nacho recipe…you will FAIL and go overboard!)
- Add crushed tortilla chips and remaining cheese. Pop in the oven for 30 minutes (Not gonna lie, I let mine sit in there for 40-45 minutes while I put the baby down…it really is a forgiving recipe)
- I added more cheese on top after I brought it out, then I let it sit for about 15 minutes because I had to help Neil with something on the truck. If you want to melt your mouth off then go ahead and tuck in when you’re ready.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!